Group Special Education (GSE)

GSE (Group Special Education) is the abbreviated term used for the Ministry of Education, Special Education.

There are approximately 2500 Ministry staff working in special education throughout New Zealand. It is the job of these people to focus on, strengthen and improve the

“educational opportunities and outcomes for children and young people with special education needs”. (MOE website)

GSE is the MOE’s department and are the people you will turn to should your child have special education needs.

How does it work?

GSE has a national office in Wellington, 4 regional offices, 16 district offices and a number of local offices. The staff members in each of these offices are there to work closely with everyone in the community in order to support the child with special educational needs and their parents. The types of people in the community who may be called on for support and help include:

  • speech-language therapists
  • kaitakawaenga
  • psychologists
  • special education advisors
  • advisors on deaf children
  • occupational therapists
  • physiotherapists
  • early intervention teachers
  • assistive technology coordinators
  • support workers
  • district Māori advisors.

(For more information on what each of these people do read ECE – Special Education).

Primarily the sorts of things the GSE staff do at this district/community level include:

  • be the first point of contact for local schools
  • provide services to an individual child or young person, or to a small group of children and young people
  • collaborate with other specialist team members, teachers and parents to develop programmes for an individual, groups of children or young people, or clusters of schools or early childhood services.
  • collaborate with specialists from other schools or agencies, parents and teachers to provide coordinated services for individuals, schools and early childhood services.
  • advise and provide support to schools such as professional development for teachers to help them identify and develop programmes for students with special education needs. For example, a school may want to set up a whole school approach to managing behaviour, or a system for managing a traumatic incident, or access professional development to help teachers to identify students with moderate communication needs.
  • work with a local school, iwi, resource teachers: learning and behaviour (RTLB) and kaitakawaenga (our Māori advisors), to provide integrated services to Māori.
  • work with a group of specialist teachers, such as resource teachers: learning and behaviour (RTLB) and Ongoing and Reviewable Resourcing Schemes (ORRS) teachers, to help meet students’ learning needs.

For more information about what the GSE does in NZ, at both the regional and national level, check out this link.

To find your nearest GSE district office or for more information phone the Special Education Information Line on 0800 622 222.


The Kiwi Families Team

This information was compiled by the Kiwi Families team.

Join more than 20,000 families

As we build a strong community of like minds:

  • Get the best tips from the best experts
  • Recipes, parties, crafts and activities
  • Special offers, competitions and more...

Sit back and relax and let us deliver to your inbox.

You might also be interested in:

ECE special education

Early Intervention is support designed for young children from birth, or from the time they are identified as having special…

Special education glossary

Here are the key terms that you need to understand special education.

Special Education Overview

It can be scary and daunting to find your child needs special help through their education.  Find more about what…

Special education

The Ministry of Education (MOE) believes every child and young person can be educated and every student in New Zealand…

Welcome to Kiwi Families

We bring thousands of families together to learn from each other.

Join a community raising great kids: