There are so many things you can do with empty toilet rolls and paper towel rolls, it’s just a case of choosing something that your kids will find fun, and want to play with. These toilet roll houses should do the trick!
We found this craft idea really appealed to all of us. The toilet roll houses are a fun thing to do on a rainy day and they’re the kind of thing that kids of all ages can make and play with.
They’re also very cheap to make and don’t involve lots of complicated pieces.
If your kids are keen on this kind of activity, it’s worth keeping a few cardboard rolls aside, otherwise they might take on my son’s habit of removing all the paper and leaving it on the bathroom floor when inspiration hits!
Paper roll houses
You will need
1 or 2 cardboard rolls per child
Paints (we used Resene test pots)
Craft knife (optional)
Small pom poms or stones from the garden
What to do
1. Paint cardboard rolls and leave them to dry (we used Resene Gelato and Resene Riptide).
2. Draw a circle on the underside of the card, that is approximately 11-12cm in diameter (you may like to grab a jar lid or mug to draw around. The size can vary.
3. Mark the centre of the circle, draw a straight line from the edge to the centre, and then cut this line.
4. Pull the card in to a shallow cone shape to create a roof for your house. Fold sellotape over to make it double sided, and stick the roof flaps down.
5. Using felt pens (or paint if you wish), draw windows and doors on your houses. Cut out the door so that it opens but remains attached (you may find a stanley knife easier here). Score along the hinge of the door inside the cardboard roll to make it open neatly
6. Sellotape the roof on to the house, putting the tape inside the tube, and then inside the roof.
7. You may like to create some little “pets” to live inside the houses. Use pom poms or stones and draw on faces, or use stick on eyes if desired.
There’s no end to the way you can vary these paper roll houses – your kids could even easily create a whole town! For more great toilet roll inspiration, check out our Toilet roll marionettes, Pretend hair cutting station and our Autumn tree toilet rolls.