Citizens Advice Bureau is a voluntary organisation which provides free, confidential information and advice to anyone about any query or problem. Citizens Advice Bureaux is staffed by trained volunteers who can access information by computer or from the extensive range of resources held by each bureau.

The Citizens Advice Bureau aims to ensure individuals know their rights and responsibilities, and are aware of services and organisations within the community that can help them with any given query.

What does it do?

The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide information about almost anything, and if they can’t – they’ll put you in touch with someone who can. Some of the common queries answered by Citizens Advice include legal issues, housing queries, relationship problems, neighbour disputes, and how to get in touch with local clubs and organisations.

In addition to answering queries over the phone, the Citizens Advice Bureau has a wide range of information on their website – www.cab.org.nz They provide step-by-step guides to help you find out what you need to know to resolve your problem.

Citizens Advice Bureau also acts as a public watchdog and an advocate for the disadvantaged or unfairly treated. They use their enquiries information to build a picture of what is affecting our communities, both locally and nationally.

How is it funded?

The Citizens Advice Bureau is funded by central and local government, lottery grants, and a number of trusts. Volunteers are constantly fundraising to make up the difference between what they have, and what they need to operate effectively.

How can I get their help?

You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau phone number under ‘C’ in the white pages of your phone book, or free phone 0800 367 222 from anywhere in New Zealand. Or refer to their website below for all of their contact details.

How much does it cost?

All services offered by the Citizens Advice Bureau are completely free.

Link to Citizens Advice Bureau Website


The Citizens Advice website provides contact information for your local bureau, information about submissions they are making to government, and usually information about common topics asked of the CAB.

5 2 votes
Article Rating

This information was compiled by the Kiwi Families team.

Notify of

oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Hi Caleb, it sounds like a bit of a pickle! Your explanation isn’t entirely clear. It sounds like the phone originally cost $1,990, which was never repaid. Then the phone was broken, and sent away for repairs, which cost $914, and this was also never paid. If you have signed up as the Guarantor in this contract, then you are legally liable for any outstanding amount if the other party defaults. This will include any reasonable fees, charges or debt collection costs as per the contract. Please note, a debt collector cannot tell your employer about your debt, without your… Read more »

Sherri-Anna Demmocks

Could you please advise where one stands when they separate and have a mortgage together, the person in question pays 100% of the mortgage each fortnight and as its been 3 months since they left and this person is struggling to live, this person has asked the other person if they can contribute towards the mortgage payments until the property sells and that person is refusing.. where does this person legally stand?

Quintin Dceaseonthetrax Hepi

Hi there. I really need advice about how I can go about getting my house checked for mould-damp. My house is brick and it get quite humid at times We have musty odour in the house that triggers my son allergies off. the musty smell is from the carpet in the rooms. I checked the carpet before he dealt with it and it definitely had sign of mould underneath I told my landlord but he just cleaned the carpet,put the carpet back in the room and said it wasn’t that bad. But nothing changed. Really thought I would of got… Read more »


Hi Quintin. You’re not alone if you’re living in a damp and mouldy house in New Zealand! Mould poses a significant health risk: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/78636/Damp_Mould_Brochure.pdf and
your landlord must take responsibility if the situation is really bad. There are things you can do yourself to prevent moisture in your home: https://tenancy.govt.nz/maintenance-and-inspections/mould-and-dampness/ make sure you do these things first. If mould and moisture continue to present, then you should definitely raise this with your landlord, who has new responsibilities: https://tenancy.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Tenancy/warmer-drier-safer-homes-brochure.pdf — Jarrod


Hi my spouse died and I agreed to have some services help me in the begining. I have two kids. Now even though I don’t drink or smoke, or do drugs, or gamble or have any criminal convictions I am being harassed non stop by all these services trying to help me. There were complaints in the first year when I was still in shock that my younger child came to school in a dirty shirt and didn’t have enough lunch etc… now even though I have fixed these things the deputy principal at my son’s school won’t stop hounding… Read more »


Hi Sebastian, those services should have the best interests of both you, and your children, at the centre of their work. If you feel that they do not for some reason, then I’d suggest bringing this up with them directly. I’m sure they will appreciate your feedback. If you feel like a school staff member is impeding your rights, then you should bring this up directly with the school principal, or the Board of Trustees. All the best — Jarrod

daniel barbenel


I wonder if anyone could help with this family law question:
I’m a Scotsman living in Brussels. My twin daughters (currently living in France) are about to emigrate to NZ with their mother. We have drawn up an agreement covering access, my travelling expenses (when I visit my daughters) and their trips to Europe. What would be the status of such an agreement if anything goes wrong? Would it be enforcable under NZ family or commercial law? Should I get it ratified before the move?
Thanks for your help!


Hey guys, needing a little advice… We purchased a bag of dressing supplies from our local vet so we could do our own dressing changes on Molly… Molly had surgery in at an Auckland vet and they sent a list of dressing supplies needed through to our local vet and we purchased from them. It cost $356.90! Yikes! It was a large bag of supplies and I was unsure exactly how much of everything I needed as I hadn’t changed the dressing yet. The local vet explained that anything we… didn’t use, we could get a full refund when we… Read more »

Leanne Hardyment

My mother pass away in March l sure she had a will but her partner said there was not a will they were not married his name is not on the houses that she bought but he is going to sell it can he do this

Rochelle Gribble

Hi Leanne,

That’s a tough situation! You really need to contact a lawyer or try your local community law centre: http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/

Good luck!


Ruth Barry

Hi, What do I do if my employer isn´t paying me correctly, doesn´t give a pay slip, doesn´t appear to be doing kiwisaver, pays overtime in the hand at a misery rate and is probably employing people with out a work visa?

Rochelle Gribble

HI Ruth,

That’s awful! Your best bet is to contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Labour section- http://www.dol.govt.nz/

Good luck!



hiya, i am enquiring how do i retrieve my hospital records from approx 1976-1979 … does the hospital hold onto this information for such a long period & how or where do i need 2go 2 be put in2 contact with sum1 who can help me out .. cheers

Rochelle Gribble

Hi LIz,

You’d be best to contact the CAB directly – their website is http://www.cab.org.nz/Pages/home.aspx

Good luck,



Hi Liz, I phoned the hospital directly, asked for Records. Unfortunately I was told there were no records kept for that year (1969). Good luck, situation might be different for you.


Not sure if this is the right place if not, i am currently in the process of separteing from my partner of 8 years, can i move to the north island from the south island with my two children?if he decides not to do it himself.

Kelly Smith

Hi there, i dont know if i am on the correct page but i am after some information on how to change my daughters last name to mine. i have full custody of my 11 year old daughter, her father hasnt been around for roughly 8 and half years, she now wants to have the same last name as me. i also have a protection order against my daughters father which covers both myself and her, does this make a difference? we live in melbourne but are from Christchurch. Any information that u could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Rochelle Gribble

Hi Kelly,

The best thing to do is contact Internal Affairs – http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Name-Change?OpenDocument There is more information here.

Good luck!


Violet Chong

Hello,  thank you for including information about Citizens Advice Bureau on your website. I would like to alert you to a couple of points which are now out of date: 1. we no longer produce information sheets – we do however have information on a wide range of topics on our website (which was revamped in mid-2010). 2. Our website no longer has a “Common Topics” section. However the information mentioned above can be accessed from our home page. This includes Consumer, Travel and Transport, Government and Law, etc. Kind regards Violet Chong National Information Coordinator Citizens Advice Bureau New… Read more »

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x