The best thing you can do for your kids is give them your time. So get them involved in some cooking for the family this weekend, or for younger kids try some baking. Not only is it fun for the entire family, it teaches important life skills.
125g soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons coconut
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons grated lemon or orange rind
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Cream butter and sugar until pale.
3. Add lightly whisked egg, golden syrup, vanilla, orange rind and coconut.
4. Lightly mix the flour in.
5. With floured hands, make small balls and place onto baking paper.
6. Squash down with a floured fork.
7. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until pale.
8. They will crisp up when cold but still taste delicious warm if you can’t wait.