This sugary sweet citrusy treat is just calling out to be enjoyed with a cup of tea mid-morning.
Loaf – Ingredients:
1 cup self raising flour
½ cup coconut
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup milk
Grated rind of 4 large lemons
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time and beat mixture
- Sift flour and add to mixture alternatively with milk, beating after each addition
- Add coconut and lemon rind and mix
- Put in a loaf tin lined with baking paper
- Bake at 180 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.
Lemon Sugar Syrup:
- Juice all of the lemons and combine lemon juice and caster sugar in a small jug, adding as much caster sugar as is necessary to make a syrupy consistency. Ultimately there should be 1½ cups of syrup, but a bit less is fine
- Pour this syrup over the loaf when it is cooked and still hot.
Note: Before enjoying the loaf, leave it to cool in the tin so that all the syrup can be absorbed.