This is a richly spiced but not hot vegetable curry and is delicious on a cold evening.
There are no desperately unusual ingredients and you can substitute vegetables and spices to get the mix that best suits your taste.
Potatoes, kumara and green beans are really nice but you might prefer to use pumpkin, or carrots, or any other favourite vegetables in the mix.
This is vegetarian and gluten free.
Potato and Egg Curry Recipe
Potato and Egg Curry
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions , peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and finely minced
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1 tsp good quality curry powder (make your own or use your favourite commercial brand)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 ½ cups “chicken” stock (you can use Massel, which is actually completely vegetarian)
- 2 large potatoes , cut into roughly 2 cm cubes
- 2 medium kumara , cut into roughly 2 cm cubes
- A good handful of green beans , washed, trimmed and sliced
- ½ cup light sour cream , or more to taste
- 6 hardboiled eggs , peeled and roughly chopped
Fry the onions, garlic and ginger in the oil in a large frying pan until the onion is soft.
Add the spices and stir fry for 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
Add the stock, potatoes, kumara and beans, cover the pan and simmer gently until the vegetables are cooked through.
Add the sour cream and stir through to mix well, then gently fold in the hardboiled eggs.
Adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve with fragrant rice, and naan bread.