This White Chocolate Brownie makes a perfect afternoon tea treat! It’s quick and simple and will quickly become a family favourite.
250g good-quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
250g butter, diced
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 cup pistachio nuts or pecans, chopped
White Chocolate Icing
100g good-quality white chocolate, roughly chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
about 2 tbsp milk
extra pistachio nuts, finely
chopped, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Grease and line the base and sides of a 25cm square cake tin.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler and heat over boiling water until just melted. Alternatively, microwave on high power (100 per cent) for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to over-cook the chocolate as it will burn easily. Stir until smooth and leave to cool.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla together until the mixture is thick and fluffy.
4. Sift the flour over the beaten egg mixture and fold in alternately with the cooled chocolate mixture. This is easiest done with a slotted spoon. Fold in the pistachio nuts or pecans. Turn out the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
5. Bake for 30–35 minutes until the top is lightly golden but the centre is still a little soft.
6. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Chill for 3–4 hours. Remove from the tin.
7. To make the icing, melt the white chocolate and butter together. Stir in the icing sugar and sufficient milk to make a smooth, thick icing. Ice, decorate with pistachio nuts and cut into pieces. Makes about 24–30 pieces
Copyright line Reproduced with permission from Sweet: Treats to Share. Published by Penguin Group NZ. RRP $45.00. Copyright recipe © Allyson Gofton, 2014. Copyright photography © Manja Wachsmith, 2014. Available nationwide