Cookies are delicious, but these cookies are even more delicious because they have a chocolate surprise inside! They are reasonably straight forward the only tricky thing is cutting out the middle of the cookies – make sure you do it while they are still warm so they don’t fall apart.
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Mini M&M candies
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for icing)
- 2 teaspoons milk (for icing)
- Small cookie cutter (this needs to be smaller than the cookies as it’s used to punch out the middle)
- Food colour
1. Make the dough: Cream sugars with butter. Beat in eggs. Add oil. Combine dry ingredients together, and then gradually add them to the mixture. Mix in vanilla.
2. Colour the dough: divide into 2 balls and add food colouring (a different colour to each ball). Knead until the colour is evenly distributed.
3. Roll out both colours into a rectangle and place one on top of the other then roll up length ways (see picture).
4. Wrap in gladwrap and chill in fridge for at least four hours.
5. Unwrap and slice rounds, about half a cm thick.
6. Bake in oven at 180 degrees celsius for approximately 12 minutes.
7. Immediately once you take them out of the oven cut the middle out of 1/3 of the cookies then leave to cool.
8. Make the icing: mix the milk into the icing sugar to form a paste.
9. Assemble the cookies by putting a ring of icing around one of the whole cookies then placing one of the cookies with the middle cut out on top of the icing. Fill the middle with mini m&ms. Put icing around the cut out hole then top with another whole cookie.
10. Enjoy! This is a fun activity for a birthday party too!