Here is a simple follow-a-long drawing and painting activity that you and your children can do. Once you’ve learnt how to draw the little Elf, have a go at making this cute little Elf Christmas card.
I find cards to be so expensive, and will often get my kids to hand make them. And this year I’m trying to reduce a little waste at Chrissy time, so a handmade card is perfect.
If you and your little ones enjoy making this card, why not check out this DIY Christmas gift bag made out of old brown paper shopping bags.
How to Draw an Elf
You will need
A4 paper (you’ll need A4 stiff card for the card version)
Gold paint pen or gel pen
Resene test pot in Half Villa White, Kermit and Red Berry (Razzamatazz)
Small paint brush
A jar for water
A paper towel for drying your brush (optional)
What to do
1. On your piece of paper draw a wavy line just above the centre of your page.
2. Next, add the body by drawing a flat u shape. Make it nearly reach the bottom.
3. Draw an oval in the centre under the top line for the nose.
4. Connect the wavy shape with a large wavey triangle, or cone shape, make it nearly reach the top.
5.Draw on a moustache starting under the nose.
6. Now draw on a zig-zagging beard.
7. Draw two little ovals on the bottom for the feet and a circle on the hat for a pompom.
8. Now it’s time to paint. Grab yourself a jar of water and a small paint brush.
9. Using white paint, paint in the beard and the pompom at the top of the hat.
10. For the hat and the shoes paint them Red Berry.
11. Paint the body using the Kermit.
12. Set aside to dry for a few minutes, or use a hair drier to dry off the paint. Then, using your gold pen draw some stars onto the hat, and one on the corner of his top.
13. With a white gel pen, draw in some small hearts on the hat, and one in the corner of his top, next to the star.
14. Finally, outline your work with a black marker.
Now that you know how to draw an elf why not create this Christmas elf card.
Get creative and see what other patterns you can come up with for the hats.
Make sure if you’re making a card that you paint onto some strong card to make it. Paper will be too light. Enjoy the process. Maybe get your kids to make their teachers, or school friends, a handmade card. It’s something a little bit different, but has so much more meaning!
Check out our Arts and crafts section for hundreds more crafty ideas.