After a cold day of being outdoors, I love nothing more than to enjoy a hearty pie. My Bacon, Egg and Spinach Pie ticks all the boxes for our family. A little bit naughty with the pastry topping, but nothing too over the top as it is packed with protein.
I love my pie served with some gorgeous sweet chilli & ginger sauce – delicious!
Bacon, Egg and Spinach Pie – serves 6 people.
Turn oven on to fan bake 180 C. I use a stoneware square dish – I find after resting for 5 mins, the pie comes out easily for serving purposes.
- Red onion, halved then sliced. Place into dish.
- Bunch of Spinach sliced and lay over the red onion.
- 8 rashers Middle bacon, sliced and placed in a baking dish. When the oven is ready, place bacon in oven for 7 minutes. Let cool and then place over the Spinach.
- 8 egg whites & 3 egg yolks with 1/3 cup calci plus milk. Use hand blender or fork to beat these together.
- Add fresh herbs from the garden or a sprinkling of dried Mixed Herbs, salt & pepper. Pour over the Bacon & Spinach.
- Cover with 1 Puff Pastry sheet, thawed.
- Brush with1 egg yolk, beat with a little calci plus milk). Fork the edges and knife scores in the top of the pastry.
Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
When ready, test the centre to make sure there is no egg running. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with steamed vegetables of your choice or a great salad. I served mine with an Autumn salad tonight and a glass of the Rabbit Ranch Pinot Noir 2013 from Central Otago.